To see the calendar of forthcoming events, please visit the Forthcoming Events page (in menu above)
Dear ICN Reader,
Welcome to the October/November edition of the ICN! This month I would like to start with a letter from the Rector of St Giles’.
ALL GOOD THINGS… (AND WE NEED YOU TO MAKE THEM HAPPEN)
I believe it was Chaucer who wrote, “All good things come to an end” – a saying that my dad would regularly quote when he wanted us to stop playing some amazing game we’d invented, and get ourselves ready for bed. Well, life has moved on in different ways for each one of the wonderful team who volunteers at the Ickenham Church News and all of the production team will be standing down at the end of this year with the publication of the Dec/Jan edition. The ICN is definitely a good thing, named recently as one of the “50 Best Things about Ickenham”, and if you’re anything like me, you won’t want it to end.
We now need volunteers to keep the ICN going into 2019 and beyond. In Sussex I was once told that I was ‘not like the last vicar’, and, quick as a flash, another parishioner turned to me and said, ‘no, but you bring us yourself, and that’s all we ask of you.’ And that’s all we ask of you. So here’s what we need to keep the ICN going:
- An Editor (could be an Editorial Team share) – editing copy (emails, Word files, Pdfs) and images into an online document, and sending the print ready version to the printers. During 2018 this was set up to use Lucidpress, an online software, to make the role a lot simpler. The ability to use Word, email and be able to copy and paste is essential. Knowledge of a graphics package (SnagIt, Photoshop etc.) is useful.
- An Advertising Assistant – a discrete part of the Advertising role – responsible for finding replacement advertisers as required (usually only a few and usually only annually – most recently done via Facebook) and for invoicing and collecting the money from all the advertisers (done annually).
- A Forthcoming Events section editor – now that the Forthcoming Events are entered directly online, this is a discrete section of the editorial requiring a mail merge Word document to be edited into the online format for the printed ICN.
- A ‘proof-reader’ – a close detail person who can work within ‘House Style’, check phone numbers and ensure that days/dates make sense as well as spelling and punctuation – this could be done in hard copy or directly online.
- ‘Copy’ i.e. your articles of local interest from both church and the wider community. If you have a club or team event, or are doing or know something of interest that would make a good story, do send in a few words (around 200-350 words or contact the editor for guidance if longer) and a picture for inclusion in the next ICN. Copy can be sent in anytime but needs to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by the 10th of the month before publication for inclusion in the next ICN.
The ICN comes out six times a year: Dec/Jan, Feb/Mar, Apr/May, Jun/Jul, Aug/Sept, Oct/Nov. The ICN is a great place to showcase and share all that goes on in our community, so let’s continue to ‘big up’ Ickenham and celebrate the amazing achievements and activities that happen here. If you would like to be part of a new ICN team, please contact John Miller on 01895 904556 or Felicity Davies on 01895 622970 or email email@example.com to find out more.
Submissions for the December/January ICN edition need to be with the team by 12noon of 10th November 2018 at the latest please. All items are subject to editorial review.
PLEASE NOTE – All forthcoming events and meeting details now can only be accepted via the website. After moderation, they will appear on the website and then be added into the relevant hard copy ICN with no further input from the clubs and societies. We hope this is an exciting improvement allowing more events to be publicised around Ickenham at short notice and independently of the ICN deadlines. If you are having problems, please do get in touch with a member of the team. Please note that for some people the form seems to be showing the date in the US format of MM/DD/YYYY rather than the UK format of DD/MM/YYYY. This is to do with the settings on individual computers and not the ICN website, which will nonetheless always show all dates on the website in the correct format.
Patricia Lee is continuing to receive donations to the ICN. The ICN is always very grateful to receive any donations; cheques should be made out to “PCC of St Giles’ Church” only. Please note that the bank no longer accepts cheques made out to “ICN” nor to “Ickenham Church News”. Please send cheques to Patricia Lee at The Office, St. Giles’ Church, Ickenham, Middlesex, UB10 8BG. Patricia personally acknowledges all donations. For the time being, if you are interested in advertising in the ICN, or have any advertising related queries at all, please contact Edwin Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 07913 430989.
Please keep scrolling down this page to see the messages from our advertisers.
Do please get in touch if you would like to help keep the ICN going. Without volunteers, it will finish. Can you help?
Thank you for supporting the ICN.